Tuesday 16 June 2009

Watching myself on video

A couple of weeks ago I watched a video of myself practicing with a friend. There are other people in the video too - it was a camera in the corner of a room.

After watching, getting his feedback, and thinking for a while, I did get a lot out of watching it. I got a mental picture of symptoms. What I didn't learn was the cause or how to fix them. For that, I don't think there's any substitute for personal attention from the right teacher. But I'd already made plans to deal with that anyway.

It's so strange seeing myself on video at all - this strange, shy little animal doing all those funny things.

I found out that I smile a lot when I'm dancing, and I fidget a lot when I'm not. In fact it's quite striking how dancing makes my constant fidgetyness go away. I suppose that's part of the point. Tango must practically give my nervous system a rest, free of the constant noise.

My smile is prettier in motion than in photographs, and it is very obvious to others if I'm pleased or happy.

My figure is more pleasing than I imagine it to be.

Those shoes are even sexier than I thought they were!

10 comments:

ghost said...

Yup, you like quite serene when you're dancing.

Incidentally I know quite a few guys who rate a genuine smile over short dresses - it tells you what's possible :o)

Elizabeth Brinton said...

MsHedgehog: It's funny that you mention fidgeting. I noticed this when I looked at video of myself, and others. Between songs there is a lot of clothing adjustment, hair being combed with fingers, hands moving all around, weight shifting...god, I just thought to myself, "chill!" But as the songs progress, during the time between songs it appears that people calm down...a lot.
Smiles...I think they go a long way.

AmpsterTango said...

Any chance I can see your video? Please?

;)

David Bailey said...

Agree with Ghost - you do look serene, and when I'm looking at potential partners, I also pay much more attention to the expressions on the women's faces.

If they smile and look relaxed, I'm much more likely to want to dance with them, than if they're whirling around like a dervish, legs all over the place.

Ampster - we could let you see it, but then we'd have to kill you :)

msHedgehog said...

@ampster - not really, it's way too long and mostly other people going past. Ignore DB, he's bullshitting you and hasn't seen it either. (DB, your chances in a battle with Ampster would closely approach zero).

ghost said...

Think "kill" more in "Patrician" terms - who said anything about battle...? Unless of course the chances of him winning in battle are in fact one in a million in which case that's just fine ;o)


PS Ampster, on the off-chance you haven't read Terry Pratchet, no offence is intended.

RainCityGirl said...

I've seen you dance and yes, you look quite serene. Elegant. Floating.

msHedgehog said...

@RainCityGirl - I like the way you've got your hair! I float too much actually, I'm working on that. But I am a low-fuss dancer, as these things go.

RainCityGirl said...

Do you recognize that big rock in the background? ;-)

msHedgehog said...

I do indeed :) But I must have forgotten the hairstyle, or this arrangement of it.