Sunday 11 November 2007

Gizmos, a boost, and learning volcadas

I know it's the middle of the night, but I'm winding down after my milonga and if I lie down I won't go to sleep.

I had a good night tonight at the Crypt, which was a bit quiet till at least 22:00, maybe because a lot of people were watching the fireworks at the Lord Mayor's Show (and also it's Diwali and there are a few late Bonfire Nights still catching up, so it's been pretty noisy after dark recently). I also had a reasonable night yesterday; I try and get a dance on Fridays now. I've reached a standard where just getting there and getting danced with doesn't use up so much emotional energy as it used to, and a Friday night dance makes the weekend seem longer by almost a day.

One person tonight said something curious to me. "You don't tolerate any of these nuevo gizmos, do you?" I'm not aware of not tolerating any kind of step, as such - although I can get a little prickly if people call out instructions, hurl me around violently, stamp on my toes particularly hard or are more impertinent than I feel they have a right to be. But I have no idea what nuevo gizmos are. Presumably, that was the problem. I'll look them up one day, perhaps.

My last dance tonight was a real treat. It was with someone I'd never met before, who asked me just moments before I'd otherwise have left. I'd been watching him earlier, and I was astonished when he asked me; I chalked that up as a win before even starting. Properly, totally musical; just lovely. And versatile, too. After our first tango Paul decided to play three tracks of something completely different, so we danced to Nat King Cole. He laughed a lot and adapted the style very nicely. I'm not quite so versatile but I did the best I could and I think I did OK. Then one more tango before I had to scamper for a train.

That gave me a real boost.

Which was good, because I was struggling all evening at my regular class this week. Everything was slightly wrong, too fast, too slow, turning not enough, turning too much, overcompensating in all directions. I was probably just tired, physically and mentally. Not my ideal day for a bit on volcadas at the end. For my friends who don't know what that is, you have to lean all your weight on the man and leave your feet behind. It looks very impressive and feels great when it works, but it can be quite demanding physically. Luckily I got a little tutorial with Paul, otherwise I would have been stuck.

I can do it, though, and I know I've done it at least once or twice in social dancing, just going with the flow, and had no problems. I think it's much easier to do if it makes sense in the context of the music and if you've already been dancing around in close embrace with the man for a little while so that you've got comfortable and trusting. I find it very, very difficult to do cold, especially when I'm tired as well. I'll see how it goes next week. Ladies, how do you get on with this?

4 comments:

Psyche said...

"I've reached a standard where just getting there and getting danced with doesn't use up so much emotional energy as it used to"

Oh, such an evocative description! I don't know why tango uses up so much emotional energy.

I find volcadas vary widely (and wildly) depending on the leader. I've danced with guys who just fall away, leaving you plummeting into the void, and then breaking your back with the strain. Very, very bad. They need to go back to class! But I've danced with other guys who have a gift of leading them so casually that you barely even realise that's what they're doing till it's over, yet you find you've followed it smoothly and completely without effort. And then it's all just part of the flow, and no more disruptive on a crowded dancefloor than any other step. Ah, magical leaders.

msHedgehog said...

I've had both experiences too. How I love leaders who stick religiously to what they've really mastered! And I remember doing a perfectly OK volcada when I was really a very recent beginner, with someone who led it really well (and happened to be a reassuring size and shape, which helps). It was one of those dances that gave me confidence for months.

Psyche said...

"How I love leaders who stick religiously to what they've really mastered!"

Yes! The worst, though, is the leaders who *think* they've mastered everything but really, really haven't.

msHedgehog said...

Yes! The worst, though, is the leaders who *think* they've mastered everything but really, really haven't.

Oooooohhhh I've got a few on my list, I wonder if they're the same ones!